Funded two-year-old play & learn places-
We have a limited number of free places for eligible 2 year olds.
If you qualify sessions are available the term after your child’s 2nd Birthday
Eligible children receive 15 hours a week - term time only and the sessions run 9am-2pm over 3 days.
If you have recieved a golden ticket your child will be eligible.
If you have not recieved a golden ticket you can check eligibility by accessing the parent portal on County Durhams family information services.
for Free Play and Learn for two year
olds, parents/carers must have completed an application which has then been approved by us either via a Golden Ticket, a letter from our Childcare Places
Team, or a six digit reference number obtained via the Durham County Council Parent Portal.
Before claiming funding, providers need to witness evidence of a successful application from parents/carers.
A child will be entitled
to the funding from the term after their second birthday if the child or parent meets the eligibility criteria outlined below:
A two year old can get
free play and learn sessions if they live in England and get one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Universal Credit - if you and your partner have a combined income from work of less than £15,400 a
year after tax
- Tax credits and you have an annual income of under £16,190 before tax
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Support through part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- The Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax
A child can also get free
early education and childcare if any of the following apply:
- they’re looked after by a local council
- they have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care
- they get Disability Living Allowance
- they’ve left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption
Eligible children can be
offered up to 570 hours of free Play and Learn sessions in a year and this is usually taken as 15 hours per week for 38 weeks of the year. If you would like to claim for fewer hours over more weeks
(ie “stretch” the entitlement) please contact the Early Years Funding Team.